Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Trilogy

I am completely obsessed with this series. One hundred percent obsessed. Michelle Hodkin has done a spectacular job of telling Mara's story. In this master piece we follow this girl, who in the beginning says her real name is not in fact Mara Dyer, that she has to have an alias for reasons unknown to the reader (hopefully that will be explained in the third and final book), but goes by Mara throughout the first and second books. Mara has been through a terrible tragedy and wakes up in the hospital with no memory of what has landed her there. She, her (ex) boyfriend, and her friends Rachel and Claire were all inside an old abandoned Lunatic Asylum when it mysteriously collapsed. Mara was the only one who survived.

To get away from the memories and have a new start, Mara's family moves from Rhode Island to Florida where her and her older brother are enrolled in a fancy Prep school, Croyden. There she meets Noah Shaw. Mr. All That of Croyden high school. He has a renowned sexual reputation and has more money than he can live with. Romance blossoms between the two teenagers as Mara's PTSD symptoms worsen. She hallucinates, blacks out, and is pretty sure she can kill things with her mind.

I have so much to say about this series. First, I'm in love with Noah and Mara's relationship. They are so in love with each other that some of the dialogue -no joke- I highlighted and tagged the page. Some of the sweet things Noah says to Mara make my heart skip and I reread those parts probably three or four times. Second, this book has a little bit of everything. Mara has to deal with the death of her friends, the stress of moving, the stress of starting over at a new school, bullies, and mean teachers. Plus all of the weird stuff too. She can kill things with her mind, Noah's abilities, kidnapping, crazy Santeria priests, PTSD and all of the symptoms, and the fact that everyone thinks she's crazy because she thinks Jude(her ex-boyfriend) is still alive.

In the words of  Rachel Hawkins, author of Demonglass, "Read this one with the lights on".

The Evolution of Mara Dyer was just as hauntingly beautiful as its predecessor. I read the 550 page book in less than a day. I literally could not put it down and I still don't want to. Michelle Hodkin made it almost impossible not to immediately buy the third book when it finally comes out. SPOILER ALERT: There is a huge cliff hanger at the end of the second book, and I think I might die if I don't get my hands on the last book in the next three seconds.



















Movie Status: Please, please, please make a movie. I'm begging you!!!

Read It Status: Read, read, read it!!!!!! These books are highly recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment